Wednesday 8 September 2010

Oddsac



Wow, so, today I watched Oddsac alone, with only this months ONM to comfort me. It reminded me alot of stupid time based art films which often depict people doing mindless acts with apparently no purpose (though I'm sure they make up a very convincing "reason" as to why they are rubbing feathers on their face for 5 minutes). But dare I say it...I...liked this? Think of Oddsac as time based art executed successfully.

Oddsac is a visual album, where what you see is what you...hear. So they go really well together, both sound and film. Each "track" features some very odd, often intense, psychedelic imagery which I believe goes along the theme of 'frustration'. One film has a group of folk sitting around a campfire - they eat some marshmallows which swell and plaster themselves across the campers' mouths. Then some white faced chap arrives and tried to bite their necks...he then runs off to evaporate in the sunlight! Hah, I dunno. It did give me a slightly sore head, what with all the flashing visuals, so I became partly engrossed in my magazine. It included some really awesome Nintendo facts - for example, did you know that the first ever Pokemon to be designed was Rhydon?

I really do love Animal Collective's music, Oddsac takes them back from Merriweather Post Pavillion to their earlier albums which are far more experimental; and this is slightly more sinister. Still enjoyable, but is only half the experience without the visuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment